Thursday 6 February 2014

Student boosts career prospects through volunteering

We recommend all our undergraduates gain work experience to help their future job prospects.

Lee Marshall hopes his volunteer work for the University's Sport 4 U programme will be the first step on the ladder to a career in sport. The 2nd year Sports Coaching student was rewarded for his efforts on the scheme at the recent Preston Volunteer Awards.

Lee assisted with promotion of the project, which helps motivate students by increasing their participation in a variety of sports.

In addition to working on Futsal and Badminton sessions, Lee led the delivery of the Preston Schools' Tag Rugby tournament, which was attended by the Irish Rugby League team during their stay at UCLan.

Speaking after the awards ceremony at Preston College Lee said: "I was really pleased to have been given the award for my volunteering, as I feel I put a lot of hard work into Sport 4 U.

"I don't volunteer for the rewards, but it's nice to feel my hard work has not gone unnoticed. Sport 4 U has allowed me to develop leadership skills, which will help me when I start looking for a job in the world of sport.

"Through working for the team I have made good friends and have met and got to know a lot of new people, which in turn has helped me work on improving my social skills. I've enjoyed working as part of the team, and look forward to continuing to work for them in the future.

"It means a lot to have been nominated by Sport 4 U leaders Rick and Danielle, and it's great to know they appreciate the work I've done."

No comments:

Post a Comment