Friday 14 March 2014

Graduates 'go the extra mile'

Two of our 2011 cohort are shining examples of what can be achieved through hard work. Darren Waldron and Katie Bent have secured rewarding roles since graduating through our programmes, and both put it down to going the extra mile whilst studying.

Darren undertook volunteer work with Preston Council, before coaching on the Streetwise scheme. He enjoyed his time at UCLan so much he accepted a full-time role as a Sports Development Officer in the Student Union.

"It's important to get yourself noticed and get a reputation, said Darren. "I did a lot of volunteering which helped me get my current job. I've coached football and led on numerous other sports. Perhaps my biggest achievement so far was working on the University's Sport 4 U project, where we achieved our three year target within the first 12 months.

"I now look after various Student Union leagues and work closely with our BUCS teams. I'd advise any UCLan students looking to work in sport to use your lecturers when it comes to looking for jobs. They have the experience to make sure you're on the right path with your applications."

After leaving UCLan, Katie spent some time in Australia before taking up a coaching role in the UK at Bolton Hockey Club. She puts her success down to what she learned on our programme.

"I spent two weeks in Zambia on the Sport for Development Project during my second year and two months there during my final year.

"I also went to Russia to help teach volunteers ahead of Sochi 2014. They were invaluable experiences. I’ve now worked my way up the ladder and I'm running the hockey programme at Bolton.

"When applying for jobs it's vital to sell yourself - make sure you get across what you've learned and what you've done. I'm now reaping the rewards to the point where the England hockey manager knows who I am and the work I've done. It's all down to the hard work I put in at UCLan."

No comments:

Post a Comment